Thursday 16 July 2015

Feeling like the end of an era...

Six weeks ago after a busy Saturday in the salon, (for those of you who don't know I am a hairdresser and continue to work weekends while studying) I took myself off to Bishop Aukland for an interview for an internship. With no real idea where Bishop Aukland was, and a stomach full of excited nerves I did however manage to wind up on the doorstep of Gillian and Tim Arnold. 

So Bishop Aukland is a Town undergoing HUGE REGENERATION, and Gillian Arnold is a key part of that. (I'm working on cutting my posts down a bit, but what is going on in the Town is just amazing, so I urge you to read all about it and next years amazing Night Show plans here.)

In a lovely old square, not far from an old castle, sits an old supermarket building with the new name of "POD". POD is a creative hub that supports artists/ designers/ makers. The idea is to not only to allow artists to exhibit work, but to share advice, experiences and knowledge to enable businesses to grow and succeed - amazing don't you think?! Gillian Arnold are the main business doing this here to date. Again you can read all about that here.

Back to the interview...

Instantly put at ease with a charming greeting from three curious children, I could tell this was going to be a positive experience from the off. Upon meeting Tim, the techy brains behind Gillian Arnold took me to their business premises within POD.

OH MY WORD. 
Talk about inspiring, I was hit by a big old ton of heartfelt inspiration. Right there, built by a very normal, very dedicated and very passionate man and wife, was a creative business set up in its exciting infantry stage. I instantly felt like I wanted to be part of it. 

So my internship began, I was thrown straight into production, making my first ever lampshades; from cutting the fabric, to printing it and actually creating lampshades - for actual orders. How exciting! I then learnt their jewellery making process, which again I was making up for orders (I think that was my favorite thing, despite what it has done to my hands!)


I printed mugs, coasters, cushions, dress and skirt fabrics. I saw insights into every aspect of their business, and it was just BRILLIANT. Coming to the end of my placement, I'm sad to be leaving but I will most definitely keep in touch and I will be back to Bishop Aukland!



Not only have I learnt invaluable new skills, I've met some fab people, but more than anything I have learnt to believe that it is achievable.

Despite always trying to be an outgoing character and pushing myself, I'd be lying if I said that the prospect (and even just the word actually) of an 'Internship" didn't scare the living daylights out of me. I mean as much as I love what I do, I constantly tell myself "I'm not really an artist, or a designer" "I can't draw." "My designs are alright', blah blah - you get the picture - I struggle to have faith in what I do. 

THIS HAS CHANGED THAT.  IT'S CHANGED ME. 

I would urge anybody unsure about their own future to gain experience, I don't think that there is anything quite like it. Being around likeminded people with vision and drive can only impact on you positively.

My time with Gillian Arnold has shown me that it is possible. This dream we are all chasing, it is within reach. You just have to work really, REALLY hard. 

P.S
Here are a few links should you be interested to read a bit more about Gillian Arnold and what is going on in Bishop Aukland...






No comments:

Post a Comment